Sitting next to me is my revised thesis which still needs revising. While I’m sure I will feel it needs perpetual revision, this weekend I found myself unable to get anything writing related done. My final final final draft is due to my committee on the 7th. So I basically have about 10 days to get it done. This weekend I instead starting making big plans for the up and coming months.
Because of my brilliant planning, I am done teaching any new literature to my high schoolers, and have actually made copies of just about everything I’m going to need for the rest of the year. There are a few things here and there that will need copying, but there is hardly any homework to grade, because most of it will be drafts of their final paper. I’m looking forward to summer, because these past few months of teaching have taken it out of me.
I will say that I think teaching this past semester, at the high school, has forced me to be productive. Last night while watching whatever was on TBS and then later North by Northwest, I reorganized all my previous teaching materials into psychotically organized binders. I still have to do the same with my teaching stuff at work, but once it’s done I’ll be good to go.
Spending this past semester working on my thesis and teaching high school, I have learned a lot about what direction I’d like to take and teaching high school is not it. It could be that I’ve had a rough experience, but I do find that I’m too invested in writing and this is why teaching at the secondary level is not for me.
I’ve been so eager to get out of the high school that I decided sometime this past week that I needed to start packing up my classroom. While it may be premature, because they may ask me back, I have found myself thinking about what papers I’ll be recycling and which papers I will be organizing into binders. Also, some of the old teacher’s things are still in my classroom and frankly I would like to have the whole room packed up and ready to go by the 8th.
My writing goals to be completed by August:
1) To write another food essay
2) To write two to three short stories (in the first person) my thesis is in the third and I’ve been itching to write in a character’s voice
3) To publish some more work (at least one)
4) To get a job at the college or university level (this will mostly depend on the market but I have faith that my CV is pretty good and will land me a job)
5) To be halfway done with major revisions to my thesis as I work towards having it ready to send to publishers.
Some reading goals:
I’d like to finish reading some books I started and didn’t finish including:
-The Time Traveler’s Wife
-The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
I’d also like to finally read:
-Jane Eyre ( I know how I have not read it yet)
-Love in the Time of Cholera
Goals that have nothing to do with writing or reading
1) I’d like to get back into my running routine. My sprained ankle and laziness has gotten me into a running rut.
2) Finally get my apartment decorated–this will require funding and right now the money situation doesn’t look good.
Well, I feel good having written down some goals. It always makes them more official when you know some people will be reading them and you have to live up to them. I’m thinking I’ll update you guys on my progress after my thesis defense.
Holy crap I’m so close.