Fine, I’ll go to bed. Sheesh.
Archive for January, 2011
I’m thinking of redesigning/trying something new with the blog. The semester is in high gear. Posts coming soon. I haven’t forgotten about you readers.
After three days of being stuck in this apartment because the winter storm crippled my area, I’m so excited to be starting the spring semester tomorrow.
I’m not mentally ready, but my work is done and I think have a good writing schedule built into my day.
The gym was closed the past three days, as well. I feel like a psycho in this apartment. If it weren’t for Modern Family and the FH coming over dinner I’d have lost my mind.
How is this winter weather treating you?
Reason for list: Not sure. These are just things I’ve been thinking about all day. Interesting, I know.
1. My apartment is freezing, even though I have the heat on and am under the vent
2. I love my new mac.
3. Watching people shovel snow off their cars is wildly entertaining. I saw one woman using a kitchen broom.
4. My fingers are frozen. This, I believe warrants a hot cocoa.
5. I procrastinated so much on my syllabi and I’m quite sick of typing them up.
6. Typing up syllabi makes me realize I care too damn much about my students “learning.”
7. FH isn’t coming over because the weather sucks.
8. Number 7 makes me happy to be planning our nuptials. Soon we get to share a roof!
9. I shouldn’t be making this list, I should be finishing up these gosh darn syllabi.
10. I wonder where the little girl who was making snow angels outside went.
11. This list is stupid. I’ll finish now.
This is what my day has looked like:
1. Woke up at 5:30AM (Motivation: Don’t want to be a cow, I’m pretty happy being human, would like to continue looking like one)
2. Spinning (Instructor tried to kill us with hills)
3. Realized my wallet was missing (Awesome)
4. Destroyed car and apartment looking for wallet (no luck)
5. Called the only place I went to about wallet (no luck)
6. Checked my bank account a thousand times to see if there was activity (nope)
7. Where the F*!& is my wallet?
9. Phone Call that went like this:
Lady: May I speak with One Mean MFA?
ME: This is she.
Lady: A resident found your wallet, we’re holding it for you.
ME: Oh Thank GOD! What a relief.
Her tone was monotone and she didn’t even sound happy that I was happy. A true testament to the human spirit.
10. Picked up wallet.
11. Cancelled cards even though none of them were missing.
Man on the other line at bank was overly talkative, and told me a lot about his life–which was not so interesting. He then ended the phone call saying something about how I knew more about him than his coworkers. Now sure how to react to something like that.
12. Watched House Hunters
13. Finished Syllabus for one of 3 preps
14. Procrastinated by checking twitter, facebook, and my email about a million times and didn’t write a single sentence of fiction
15. Wrote this post.
Woke at 5:30 this morning and actually got spinning on time. I was shocked and mildly pleased with myself for not thinking of an excuse when the alarm went off. I had prepared my clothes the night before, and didn’t stay up too late so waking up wasn’t too brutal. Currently, I’m crashing. I’m a bit tired and debating if I should take a nap, but am fighting the urge.
Next week classes start. I’m not even close to being ready, but whatever, I’ll be ready when the time comes. Today, I tried to do some wedding planning, but couldn’t get ahold of the people I needed to speak with so I’m guessing this a sign from the universe that I don’t need to wedding planning. Which, to be honest, is perfectly fine with me.
I could have easy put off getting into the new workout routine until next week, since that is when I’m back to work, but decided I better get into the grove of working out my new schedule this week. This being just one reason why I’m not napping right now. This time next week I’ll be teaching how to write a paper 101, yet again.
In October I was promise a literature course, which was opened, but it didn’t have enough students and was canceled. I had to take another rhetoric course. I was pretty bummed; I was so excited to be able to teach a lit course.
Since, I’m still not completely settled into my apartment, I have about 5-6 boxes of books left to unpack, shelves to install on the shelves and sometime this week I need to purchase a new file cabinet, I’m not so motivated. My apartment is a mess and I just don’t focus well in a mess. I’m hoping that when I stop over at Ikea today, I get luck with the file cabinet situation.
Starting off the semester with a messy apartment is not good for me. I’ll get so stressed out about the mess and not be able to focus, which is exactly what is happening right now. Instead of pumping out my syllabi, I’m typing the random thoughts that are floating around my head. Lucky you.
The holidays always seem to get me off track. I felt terrible that I skipped this month’s writing exchange with my girlfriend, but I’m ready for this Friday. I’m hoping this new schedule of teaching night classes forces me to be productive during the day since, I won’t be able to get my catch up work done at night. I also won’t be seeing much of FH this semester since we usually hangout for dinner. Bummer. I love him so much. At least, by this time next year we’ll be living together so I can come home and snuggle with him.
Well, since I don’t have an excuse to do nothing, I think I’ll drink one more cup of coffee–God I’m sleepy–and then get some work done.
Are you guys back to reality? How is it treating you so far? Are you back on track?
Tomorrow is back to reality. So not mentally ready.
I usually don’t like to hate on years past, but 2010 was not an overly awesome year for me. I’m looking forward to 2011.
There is something refreshing and exciting about the new year. Beginnings, in general, are exciting. There is something exciting about starting fresh. Clean slate.
Well, I hope all of you had a wonderful evening last night. I hope you all danced and laughed and most importantly were with people you love.
You can read my big plans for 2011 here. What are your plans?